Blog Lovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, March 5, 2024

PHD update and trying new techniques

At my last retreat I began sewing these tea pot blocks. The handles are still wrapped up awaiting the right time to sew them up.


Here are a stack of blocks in progress. 


The tea cups are ready to sew as well. They were supposed to have stars on them,  but I redrew the pattern for hearts instead. They have fewer pieces. 


Love the journal pages I made for this quilt.




This week I am working on my Dollar Building Blocks.  The technique we need to use involves sandwiching little bits of fabric scraps and yarn between Badgemaster water soluble sheets.  The next step involves heavy, close stitching through the Badgemaster using a thread painting technique.  Basically you are sewing all of those bits of fabric together.  The Badgemaster washes out in water and then you have a new collage of fabric to piece or applique' with.

Three of my blocks will be a wonky house where the roof will be made from fabric created by this technique.  The 4th one will be a pineapple.  I am anxious to see how it all turns out.



Here it is with the stabilizer washed away.


PHD Challenge update:


In order to earn my PHD, I need to finish twelve WiPs and finish every new start this year excluding blocks of the month that roll into the next year and December starts.

Well, it doesn't look too great seeing as how I finished one quilt in January and started 2 new ones this year not to mention a couple of new BOMs that will extend into 2025. On a good note, however, I do have two tops ready to take to the quilter.  One is a new start this year and the other a WIP.  Numbers should look better the end of March.  Also, I made all the blocks for #2 WIP making it pretty close to a finish.







13 comments:

  1. Those teapot and cup blocks are fun - I love the autumn tones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love your journey pages .. so creative . The tea cups and tea pot quilt is pretty creative too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great teapots and cups. What a great way to make the roof blocks, always an interesting/never know what you will end up with technique. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The teapot blocks are really cute. Your "made" fabric is really fun. Good luck with your PHD. I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, except I don't have a finish yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tea pits, cups and wonky houses, I think you have been having fun on your stitching projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tea pots and cups look great.
    fun technics

    ReplyDelete
  7. No pushed wrong button !
    Fun way to use up your scraps .
    That's a huge list you'er working on , good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute cups and teapots. That is an interesting technique...looking forward to seeing the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your teapots and cups. I’m going to look for that pattern. The badge master collage technique is really interesting; that is going to make some great, original roofs for your cute houses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your teapots are fun and I do love your journal pages. Way more creative than me. OK, you don't have finishes yet, but I can't believe that you progressed so many projects. That's a mighty effort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like your teapots and cups! Your projects are coming along nicely, and I look forward to seeing your March update with those finishes. Congratulations on the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your tea pots and cups and making the new fabric looks great too. Great journal pages.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty sure you will smash out all your goals and meet the challenge......

    ReplyDelete

Welcome all comments! We LOVE to hear that others are visiting and viewing our projects. It makes our day.