Blog Lovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, January 14, 2024

First Finish this year, 15 Minutes, To Do Tuesday

If you are looking for the Chookshed Stitcher's Challenge Mid-month Linkup, click here.




The last of my $building block January sewing is complete.  I love these blocks.


They all look pretty great together as well even though they will actually go into four different quilts.





Quilting on my Scrub Stitchin' Bag progressed and it is finished. It began by dusting off Gramma Juk. Yes, she hasn't been used in awhile.  You can see the dust on her - embarrassing!  I should make a cover for her.





My quilting rulers have been feeling neglected as well. I decided to try my hand at one of my Westalee Rulers in the Mini Fill Collection. 





I chose the zig zag pattern for the back of my bag.  I free motion quilted the sides and outline quilted here and there on the front.

This is how the linings looked.


I am not so great at following instructions sometimes.  I guess I just kind of do what I feel like in the moment when it comes to bags.  I ended up sewing a binding inside the bag to cover up the raw seams and then adding a binding to the top.  I LOVE IT!  It is even a better memory now that many of us are making them together this month!

To Da!!!  Here she is!  My first finish of 2024 matches a few other ladies' first 2024 finish.






Celestial Star is complete except for the applique' (only glue basted for now).


You can see in the photo below that this quilt just needs one more block.  I love that they are all the same pattern.  Depending on what fabric you put where makes them all different.




15 Minutes to Stitch Report











To Do Tuesday Report:

Last week's goals:

1. Finish a Celestial Star block ✔

2. Cut out the pieces for my bag 

3.  "Move" every day.  What I mean by that is to get a little exercise in whatever form I can fit in.  (All but Saturday - close)

This week I hauled firewood, swam laps, and walked.

4. Get some outside time. 

This week we played in the snow and hauled firewood from the tree downing activity we had last week.

5. Sew 15 min a day 

6.  Cut a few Chevron Braid Round Robin blocks into rectangles 

7. Piece Nutmeg $ Building Block BOM 

8. Daily Journaling 

9. Photo Challenge 

The only thing that would fall slow enough for me to get a shot was bubbles.  It is certainly not a pro photo of me in the mirror in the bathroom.  The photo card read "something mid-air".




This week's goals:

1. Prep seal blocks for applique'

2. Cut and sew the rest of the Chevron Braid Round Robin blocks into rectangles

3. Piece some of Cinderella

4. Do a little Spring Mystery hand applque' 

5. Piece some sample blocks for a class I am teaching at our retreat in April

6. "Move" every day.  What I mean by that is to get a little exercise in whatever form I can fit in. 

7. Get some outside time. 

8. Sew 15 min a day 

9. Daily Journaling

10. Photo Challenge 




Other Linkies today:

Slow Sunday Stitching

Quilting Patchwork Applique'

Oh Scrap!  Quilting is more fun than housework

Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?

Off the Wall Friday

Put your Foot Down





19 comments:

  1. Your bag is lovely. The blocks look so pretty together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your bag and those quilt blocks look so different I had to look closely to see they were the same pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bag and Celestial star both look amazing. I have the paper collection for Celestial star, seeing yours makes me want to pull them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Deana, your bag looks fantastic, love the different quilting styles and how you have done your cord inserts. Your Celestial star blocks are beautiful, gives me itchy fingers, but I do NOT need a new project!! Well done on the targets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bag looks great and that Celestial Star is one terrific block! Congrats on meeting your goals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have finished some lovely blocks. Sweet little bag, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on finishing your bag, Deana! Celestial Star is a beautiful pattern.....star designs have always been among my favourites, in fact one of the very first quilting books I bought is on star quilts, and it's still one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did well finishing your challenges.
    Lovely quilting on your Scrub Stitching bag.
    Great shot of the Mid Air challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bags are all looking so lovely! Nice finish and good to see everyone personalising theirs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bag looks great Deana. Those pandas are very cute in your block.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The bag turned out beautifully! Love your elephant blocks too, those are so cool looking. Fun photo! You do have to get creative with the prompts sometimes. Some of the concept cards are the hardest. Stay warm! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, great progress during this week, the January blocks are gorgeous all together. These flower prints are lovely. I love your bag, it's so cute! Love the appliqué, the quilting, the handles! And fun to see how Celestial Star is coming along, and how the different color placements make such different blocks! Well done with your numbers too.
    Thank you for sharing these beautiful finishes and WIP!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm impressed, you are making blocks for four different quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well hello, love how you finished your bag. You have done a lot of sewing on your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your #6 finish. Looks like you are going to be one busy lady with your goals and to do lists.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done on your finish and the Celestial Stars- they do look so different!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Uh oh, I feel a new ruler purchase coming on! I love a good quilting ruler and have and have used the Westalee "Circles" set to great effect. I haven't seen that filler one before (in fact I haven't seen any thing from them in a good while). I will have to check that one out, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good job on finishing your bag. The quilting looks fantastic. I love that we can all put our own spin on the pattern. Celestial Stars showcases so well the variations that can be achieved. They are so fun. I also love the pineapple blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whoooo hoooo on getting the number 6 challenge completed!!!! Love the way the different building blocks actually work so well together!!! The photo card challenge is interesting …….. I have a few dead vegetables in the garden due to fruit fly!!!! I must get another blog post written but my days have been disappearing!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome all comments! We LOVE to hear that others are visiting and viewing our projects. It makes our day.