Blog Lovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, February 3, 2024

My first ever RSC with Fishy Business - January Green

This was my first time ever participating in Rainbow Scrap Challenge after many years of reading/watching others around the world participate.  I think what "hooked" me this time was 

1 - a couple of online friends are doing it (Janice and Susan)

and

2 - this adorable Fishy Business Free online pattern

Even the name of the quilt is adorable!


Since I have been doing a lot of hand applique', I wasn't feeling it on these fish, besides, to me it looked like an easy improv curved piecing project instead.

I roughly added 1/4" to three sides of the "head" of the fish on a freezer paper pattern.  I then overlapped the head fabrics with the body fabrics and cut the curve all in one swipe with my mini rotary cutter.





Then, sewed the heads to the bodies by machine.


Next, I lay my full body fish freezer paper pattern on top making sure to align it with the curve I pieced where the head and body come together.


I appliqued a background fabric piece onto the head to form the fish mouth.  (Honestly, it was just glue basted at this point.)


Next, I got my trusty mini rotary cutter out again and cut the full fish curves.


and... sewed the background to the fish like so.


It did take a few pins as curved piecing does.


I kind of did improv cutting for the fishy tale.  I did add 1/4" to the original fish tail pattern to keep the size true.  I actually layered my two fishy tails with their background fabrics and cut it all together.


Doing it this way, I now have fish tails made and ready for when we do the color blue.  Since we need to make extra fish anyway via Janice's quilt layout plan, These will be ready to go.  Also, I figure the green and blue backgrounds are fitting for "water" colors.


Other fish in the "Fishy Business" pattern do not have a nice, sharp edged, triangular shaped fishy tails like this one, so I likely won't do them this way, but who knows what may happen down the road as fishy business comes together each month.















14 comments:

  1. Where there is a will there is a way - very clever way to do this - though I will stick with machine applique...LOL
    Welcome to RSC and the Janice Fish Club!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so tempted to do this one. Your fish look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job. Amazing how you always find a way to adapt a pattern to your style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your fish Deana and your clever way of sewing them, the more fish I see the more I am tempted, but I will be strong and resist!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice fish and interesting how you put them together. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was watching a documentary about an archeological dig in Devon, England recently. One of the artefacts that they dug up was a small fish, shaped just like these, which had a piece of enamel for the eye. They were decorative items for ancient Romans. I think it was jewellery made from silver. These fish are dead ringers for those artefacts! This shouldn’t be an anonymous comment. I don’t know what is happening with comments lately. Heather at hubblebirdsquilt.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun RSC project for this year. You've got some very fun and colorful fishes to start.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Just goes to show how we can adapt to our style. I would have gone in a totally different direction because I'd have hand appliqued. You surely thought this out! I love the colors of this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your first RSC adventure. I've been joining in for several years and really enjoy it, most of the blocks I do end up as donation quilts. I love that fish block, must check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy you have joined the fishy club. How clever are you! I'd have never even thought to make them that way. I wonder if you will be able to make more using the same method or will have to revert to applique?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome all comments! We LOVE to hear that others are visiting and viewing our projects. It makes our day.