Blog Lovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Deana's Middle School kids are learning to quilt.

Hello blogland!  Last month I mentioned that I was teaching my students at school to make a quilt.  I intentionally picked a wonky, stack & slash style pattern for the job.  They have been busy making these barn blocks.  I would say they are not too bad considering most of them had never even touched a sewing machine before.  I had to teach how to thread the machine, wind a bobbin, measure and sew 1/4" seams, use rotary cutters, pin, pressing...everything!  You might be surprised at the crazy ways 6th, 7th, and 8th graders can pin fabric together.

We still need to add the sky area and trim the blocks to size.  Next we will be doing pine trees to go among the barn blocks.  The top row of barns have begun to add their sky.


Today is To Do Tuesday.  Go on over and check out everyone's lists.

This week I plan to just enjoy sewing.  I have all of my January goals complete so now I get to just sew on a whim.  I think I'll finish my reindeer and cut out my Santas.

4 comments:

  1. Well done to the kids. It's going to a cute quilt..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice on wonky for beginners!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your students blocks look fantastic! I love the block you chose for them to learn with. Thank you so much for linking up with To-Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome all comments! We LOVE to hear that others are visiting and viewing our projects. It makes our day.