Blog Lovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, February 11, 2011

MARIE'S DORINDA QUILT IS FINISHED!!

This is a happy day for me!!  Finally, after 2-1/2 years of work, my Dorinda quilt is finished.  I started working up my pattern in August, 2008 and finished piecing it May 31, 2010.  I started hand quilting it June 2010 and finished quilting and binding February 9, 2011.

I spent many hours doing applique.  I took it with me everywhere I went for months and worked on it whenever I could.  The quilt is 42" square and there are 1750 pieces in this quilt.  The sunbursts are a combination of machine and hand piecing, and the applique is needle turn applique.  

The best part has been getting to know Ann, Lyn and Deana better as we each did our own "Dorinda" quilt, and also learning about our ancestor Dorinda Melissa Moody Slade who created the pattern in the first place. 

The first picture was taken outside, and the second inside.  There certainly is a difference in the way the colors look.

 Notice the quarter on the right side, which puts the size in perspective.
I'm glad I made this quilt, but I don't intend to make another like it.

6 comments:

  1. Your quilt is gorgeous. Congratulations on the completion of such a wonderful piece of art. I just starting my very first hand appliqued quilt and you give me something to aspire to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has got to be the greatest of quilting accomplishments!!! You really stuck with it and inspire me. I hope to get mine done in time for our Dorinda Retreat.

    Tell V you deserve a night out on the town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word!!! It is so gorgeous. Your quilting makes it even more gorgeous. That small in comparison to our queen sized is astounding. You have the same amount of pieces, but in smaller dimensions, but it still looks so compact. You have truly earned a night out on the town. What an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, your quilt is AMAZING! Dorinda would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Beautiful quilt!!
    I'm a Moodie albeit spelt differently. Linda/Dorinda
    I'm doing the Quilt Show Quilt. and Dear Jane.
    I just love all your quilts and the colours. Very talented ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie! 1750 pieces?? Holy cow! That is AMAZING!! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome all comments! We LOVE to hear that others are visiting and viewing our projects. It makes our day.