Blog Lovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, April 23, 2023

Scrub Stitchin' - oh Yeah!!!!!

I have so much to share that this post will be the first of a few, so stay tuned.

The past two weeks were the most delightful two weeks I've had in a long time!  My sister and I ventured halfway across the world to join the Scrub Stitchers in Australia!!!  I still cannot believe it really happened!!!  When I began blogging many years ago, I never in my wildest dreams thought it would bring me so many national and international friends.  I never even thought anyone would even read my quilt diary which is really what blogging is for me.  

After arriving in Sydney, my sister and I began our drive inland toward the retreat:



Australia is beautiful and so is their silo art.





Little towns with clocks at the center of town was common.


My sister, Tracy, and I had lunch at the Mint Leaf Cafe in a little town before arriving at Scrub Stitching.  It was super yummy!




Tracy and I went shopping for a touristy hat for the dress up party Friday night.  She auditioned this one.





Our arrival at Scrub Stitchin' brought unexpected tears and hugs.  It truly was emotional to finally meet, face to face, these wonderful ladies.  Tracy who never before had any contact with any of them, was even emotional.  The first friend to greet us straight away was Chooky - the lady who organized all of this!  Just look at that smile!  She was beaming and so was I.  She actually greeted us outside, but we didn't get a photo.


It wasn't long before we were greeted by the ladies we have been zooming with for a few years.  One by one everyone showed up.

Chris (Canada) and Jo (Australia)


Tracy was greeted warmly although she didn't know anyone until we arrived.  I wanted the ladies posed in front of Jo's wonderful quilt.  I absolutely MUST make it as my Australia quilt since I saw more ocean on this trip then I ever do back home.  I love how she added sail boats in the water.  This is a Storm at Sea pattern with her personality sewn right in.


Gail (Missouri), Tracy, Me, and Lou (New Zealand)


Chris, Janice (Australia), Tracy


Sylvia from Germany joining us on the end.  All of us are bloggers.


Raewyn from New Zealand and Chris - where was Sue?  She is usually Raewyn's partner in crime.


Tracy, Jude (Australia), Lou, Gail, Raewyn, Me, Sylvia, Chris



Annette, Joe, Me, Chooky, Sylvia and the charming camp behind us.


Annette, Tracy, Me, Jo, Sylvia 




Chooky had the room all set up with a warm and cozy Australian welcome!  There were gift bags on the table and her lovely quilts on the walls as you will see in later photos.


The native plants were just the right touch!!  I thought they were so meaningful and fitting for those of us who are new to them.






And then there were the gifts.  Holy Moly!  They kept coming, and coming, and coming.  Each day up until the end there was always another sweet friend stopping by my machine to give me a treasured gift.  Some of them were even new friends I met at the retreat.  They were so thoughtful to add bits of Australia as well.

They called us the "International Girls" and gave us a great big Australian welcome!!!  They treated us like celebrities.

I hope I get this all correct... I apologize up front if some items in the bag were contributed by someone I didn't realize. 

Project bag - from Lianne, a fellow blogger.  It has Koalas in the fabric.

Snail and two tiny little quilt block magnets made by Sylvia from Germany.  She even put makeup on her snail face.

Beaded clip and machine cleaner made from a straw and pipe cleaner - Pat, zoom friend.

Pin Cushion with hand made kangaroo button and placemat with zipper pouch for holding utinsils - from Jo.  She also gave me her Storm at Sea pattern after she finished the quilt. The pin cushion has a little ruffle around it to put clips on - very clever.


Pink Australia ruler - from Jenny.  It has a kangaroo and the map of Australia.



Little Kangaroo and laminated native leaves - from Brenda.  She had the kangaroo mounted on her sewing machine.  Guess where mine is going to live now?  Ya.  My Juki has always needed a kangaroo friend. 


Scrub Stitchin' 2023 bag, hexagon papers, cute little scissors, native flower mug, and three Hatched and Patched project patterns - from Chooky.  The back side of the bag lists everyone's names and where they are from - so cool!  Also, check out the pattern that says "Chooky's Pin & Scissorkeep".



Koala embroidered hand towel - from Janeen, new friend and great cook.


Kangaroo coasters - Susan, long time blog friend. 



The back of our bag had the names of everyone who came - how lovely!  Even the ladies from Australia traveled for hours to be here.





9 comments:

  1. Glad you had fun. Sad that i didn't get to attend & meet the overseas visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am seeing so many happy posts about Scrub Stitching - so glad you got there and had such a great time. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and fantastic memories, lovely to have met you both, thanks for travelling so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great photos - great to meet you - and so glad you and the other "international girls" could make it. Amazing what Chooky, blogging & Zooming can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was lovely to meet everyone in person. And weren't we spoiled? So many lovely, lovely gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes it was emotional meeting you...........never thought it would happen........enjoy your goodies.......so many happy memories.......and yes it cannot be done in one post can it........lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was so good to meet you and Tracy, so many wonderful photos and memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a great retreat! That's quite a journey. Looking forward to seeing what everyone was up too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had such a good trip in the lead up to Scrub Stitchin'. I bet your suitcases were rather full with all those extras to take home. Your Bionic Bag is gorgeous. Diddles would have been so pleased to see her stash items used so creatively.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome all comments! We LOVE to hear that others are visiting and viewing our projects. It makes our day.