Blog Lovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, April 27, 2022

More retreat joy to share...15 minutes...To Do Tuesday

I took a class on color play at the retreat from Jennifer Harrison.  She loves very vibrant colors and puts fabrics together that most people would not.  I got out of my comfort zone and learned so much!!

Here are some photos of quilts from her trunk show.  She had wonderful stories to go with each quilt of which I could remember to share with you.


This one was kind of an add a border quilt.


The one below is a giant chess board - love it.  I think it was a very clever way to use the large print in the center.


This is her Lone Star quilt that is not a lone star.  I like the variety of sizes and how even some are split half.




If I remember right, this quilt tells a story of her sewing 20 minutes a day minus Sundays.  Each color represents the type of sewing she did that day.



The Americana quilt below was made during 2020 when the world and the USA was uncertain. I love the story it tells.


I think this one was quilted in rain drops as designed by her husband.  I can visualize the rain falling on the flower garden.


If I am not mistaken, the little house quilt was also made during 2020 and had representations to us staying home inside our houses.



The class I took from her involved bringing 2 1/2" strips to trade and exchange.  The idea is to put fabrics together that you don't expect to look good together.  We were to shy away from pieces with very much white in them. I haven't begun to sew them up yet, but here are the fabric strip pairs I matched up.  I did come home and add quite a bit from my stash.


This is what they look like in full view.



One lady got a pretty good start on her color play quilt.  The photo below is her progress and should help you visualize what I will be making.  I am thinking to make mine as a background to some applique' vines or big flowers.  This lady, Linda, is a new quilt friend I met at the retreat.  We sat right next to each other for three days.



We were all asked to make this block to be entered into a drawing.  I made five, but didn't win. Look how cute they were hanging on the wall.




15 Minutes to Stitch Report:




PHD Progress:



Newfos are new starts for 2022.  I have to finish them this year to earn my PHD.




I have to complete 9 quilts this year to earn my PHD.  I do have two quilts that are very close: Christmas Row and Windmill.




1. hand applique' all 20 circles on the Windmill blocks
2. Sew another row of the Scrappy Kaleidoscope Bloom
3. Put borders on Christmas Row Quilt
4. Piece watering cans in "For the Birds" quilt.

6 comments:

  1. Gosh....that looks like a great trunk show! I can't wait to see what you do with all of those strips. I know it will be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely quilt show...the solid triangles caught my eye right away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many beautiful quilts and colour in the trunk show - your colour challenge will be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what wonderful show and tell.......can't wait to see your quilt come together.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have seen that trunk show - the quilts are beautiful and so interesting. Love the strips you came home with and look forward to seeing what you do with them. They remind me of the fabrics Jen Kingwell puts together.
    Thank you for sharing with To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure if my comments are going through, but thank you for sharing this gorgeous trunk show with To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome all comments! We LOVE to hear that others are visiting and viewing our projects. It makes our day.