Blog Lovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Deana: Val's Archives: Irish Chains


This might be the first quilt I ever made.  I was in high school and my wonderful Grandmother thought I needed a special quilt that was embroidered by all of my high school friends.  She traced off the flower blocks for me (they were actually state flower embroidery blocks), and I passed them out to my friends.  Most of them came back but a few didn't.  I did those few myself.

Grandma suggested the Irish Chain pattern that I pieced without help from my mom but we didn't use rotary cutters back then.  I am amazed that it worked out using the old "trace around the card board" method.  I bet those seams were not 1/4" either.  How it worked out I have no idea.

I'm pretty sure Mom quilted it for me and her friend Deb Walker helped.  It is all hand quilted and it is really beautiful workmanship!











2 comments:

Cathy said...

Deana, what an absolute treasure! My grandmother's didn't quilt so I unfortunately don't have anything like this. I absolutely love it!

Valerie Reynolds said...

I too find it to be an absolute treasure!!! WOW!! you did great with the pieicing...and the quilting is amaaing! Think I love the most is your younger self handing out all the blocks to your friends...so cute!! (And them doing them!!)