Blog Lovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, May 9, 2021

What is the hold up? IMPERFECTION!

What is the hold up on this quilt you might ask?  The borders are done but they are not attached BECAUSE PERFECTION MATTERS!  I consider myself to be an expert quilt piecer, but even I make mistakes.  I should have measured my border strips somewhere in the process earlier than when they were all joined together.  Each strip should measure 1" wide exactly finished, but they are not.  Many (maybe even half) are 1/8" off.  When you multiply 1/8" off by 42 strips, you can be nearly 5" off on the ends.  I can ease in 1 inch or so but not 5 inches. Thankfully the strips are a tad wide which means I can just resew the strips and not have to pick. 



Look at how far off they get on the ruler within just 9 inches - yikes!



Two sides - the longer two sides - are already fixed and ready to go, but I still have the other two to resew.  Look at all these pins.  I need to take a little bit wider seam in every place where there is a pin.  It is easy, but kind of boring.



I did get the four corner blocks, which are log cabins, all cut out and ready to sew.



I also did some planning, measuring, and cutting to get the layout nailed down on this 2003 Frog Round Robin.  I think it will turn out to be a pretty cute little baby quilt for grand baby #7 arriving in June.  It should come together quickly and easily now.


15 Minutes Report:




I am linking up with:

Put your Food Down

Oh Scrap

Patchwork and Quilts

BOM's Away


10 comments:

  1. Good luck with the "fix"... no doubt it WiLL be worth the effort...xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness...... But best to make it right now and get it to work properly......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh; I can totally relate to where you are with your borders right now. That's why it drives me nuts when I see quilters advising one another in the Facebook groups about how "as long as no one can see it when they ride by on a galloping horse, it's fine!" There are no galloping horses allowed at quilt shows, for one thing. But really, your borders are a perfect example of why accurate piecing DOES matter. Being off by just a thread's width on every seam can add up to a really big difference and land a project in the eternal UFO pile once the errors have accumulated to the point that the pieces of the quilt won't fit together at all. This quilt is so beautiful; I'm glad you are taking the time to fix those borders to make them fit properly instead of taking a shortcut that would diminish the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear! 5” is a lot! It will be stunning when you get it all fixed, but that is a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How frustrating...hope you can get it "right".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your windmills look amazing, I love the border and feel your pain. So frustrating when that happens.
    The froggies are looing cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's going to be a beautiful quilt (and it's already is)!
    Thank you for linking up your beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s is very annoying but I’m sure you’ll get it right....
    I do like the 🐸 Frogs for your new Grandie.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch, that is so frustrating but in the end you will have a beautiful quilt. I love the design in the border. I absolutely love the frog quilt. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down and making me smile today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pieced borders are so much work sometimes, but they are definitely worth it. Congrats on all the stitching time. I love those frog blocks! That will be a really fun baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome all comments! We LOVE to hear that others are visiting and viewing our projects. It makes our day.