Blog Lovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, April 18, 2010

ANOTHER STEP FINISHED

I am excited to finally get my Dorinda quilt all pieced together.  All I have to do now is applique the corners and it will be ready to quilt.  I haven't ever really liked the sashing in the origianl quilt so I decided that since the quilt is really busy that a plain strip would be good.  The pattern I made is for a 2" sashing, just in the middle.  Dorine and Gary were here so I wanted their opinion and we auditioned different colors and we all decided the green was the best for the sashing.  I put it together with a 2" green sashing and as you can see it didn't work at all.  Whenever I looked at it all I could see was a big green cross going through the middle of the quilt.  It was just too big.


I tried placing strips over the sashing to see if I could come up with a better solution, but nothing seemed quite right.  I was talking to my friend, Vicki, about it and without even seeing it she suggested that I make a smaller sashing and put it all the way around the blocks.  I didn't think that was a good solution because it meant that I would have to take the whole quilt apart and re-do it. 

After sleeping on it I finally decided that she was right so I stayed up late one night and tore the whole thing apart and divided the 2" into 3 strips and put it all back together.  Now I think it  it is right. 

I'm anxious to applique the corners and have it on the frames before our quilt retreat.  That means that I have to finish the quilt that is on the frames soon, and I am very close; so I'm feeling pretty good about my progress. 

As the weather warms up my garden and flower beds need more attention; so I'll have to give up some sewing time, but I'll keep plugging along. 





3 comments:

dj said...

It is so beautiful! You made the right choice in my opinion. My blocks are so big for my borders that I need to trim them way down and won't have room for sashing. I hope I like it.

Ann T. said...

I, too, like the smaller sashing strips. It is beautiful. So glad you are so close. It has been a long process for us all.

dorine said...

You definitely made the right decision! It does look so much better!