Blog Lovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, April 25, 2022

Quilt Retreat and progress on One Monthly Goal

I took my Windmill Quilt to our little retreat last week and pieced all the blocks plus half the borders. I still need to applique' circles.  This quilt always comes together quickly.  This will be the 5th one I've made.

This is my One Monthly Goal and American Patchwork and Quilting Goal for April.  I don't think I will have the top completely together this week, but pretty close.




The Castle Country Quilter's Retreat was close to home, and I knew many of the ladies there, some of which I have not seen for 20 plus years.  It was like a reunion.  They gave us cute little gifts, provided a make and take every day, organized a quilt block drawing, and fed us the most amazing home cooked meals.  I have decided that quilters are also amazing cooks.  The classes were fun too.  

My long time friend, Patty, brought quilt kits she had purchased through the years and offered them for sale.  I think she realized she wasn't going to sew them.  She set them up in a bedroom at the lodge and let us bag up the ones we wanted.  It was an on-your-honor system that worked great.  We just paid for them when we were ready.  It was a super fun way to shop.  Sometimes I didn't like the patterns, but I liked the fabric and bought them to do with as I pleased.  Here is what I came home with:

1. Fat quarters - no idea how I will use them yet.



2. Chicken Soup panel and coordinating pieces - no idea how I use them yet either.



3. This Kaleidoscope Bloom Kit...I love it so much that I can hardly wait to sew it up! 


 

I am putting it together very different from the pattern using folded insert triangles to make the orange peels without the need for applique'.  I randomly grabbed some pieces out of my scrap bin to test out my plan.  It worked like a charm.  It was so much fun that I threw in a few more pieces and ended up starting a new quilt unexpectedly.  What was intended to be some practice blocks will now become a sister quilt to the kit I purchased.

You can see my progress on it below.  Realize that the folded inserts on the second row are not yet peeled back and stitched down to reveal the correct shape of the orange peel pieces.




Here are a few photos of the progress others made while we were there.





I still have more to share maybe later in the week.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful time. I love your quilt top and also the new orange peel one. Beautiful work by your fellow retreaters. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love your windmill quilt! You made great purchases there at the retreat. The ladies were very productive. The quilt made of large HST's is lovely. The orange peels are wonderful too. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shopping in someone's stash is always fun. Love the chicken panel.....a set of placemats maybe???? Geat progress on windmills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a wonderful retreat. The pinwheel quilt looks fabulous. I can see why you are so excited about getting the orange peel quilt done. It's a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your windmill looks great coming together.........how nice to be on retreat with he ladies........nice projects on the go.........love the goodies you got........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Windmill quilt top is just fabulous. I saw a little thumbnail picture of it and I just had to jump over to check it out. Then you shared a whole bunch of fun eye candy, too! What a wonderful selection of goodies you came home with. I can just feel your enthusiasm for your new project and look how far you got already. Great job! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete

Welcome all comments! We LOVE to hear that others are visiting and viewing our projects. It makes our day.